Thomas Wood and his brother Robert were monumental sculptors. They had their business at Bruce St and then in 1849 at the gates of the Greenock Cemetery and employed 4 men. They were the sons of James and Agnes Wood, their father was a carter from Ardrossan. Robert’s cemetery monuments were often large scale and elaborately carved. He trained in Glasgow and worked there until 1849. His finest work in Glasgow was the monument to Glasgow Firemaster, William Robertson, which has a carved relief of a fire engine. It is in the Eastern Necropolis. His best work is in Greenock Cemetery the carved multi figure Gothic spire to Walter Baine, Greenock’s mini Scott’ monument. Robert died of typhus in 1856 at the age of 40, his brother Thomas carried on the business until his death in 1867.